By Amna bint Ashfaq
SO…last night we had a power cut (very rare here in the UK) and our side of the street was immersed in darkness. As I drove up to my house, I saw one side dark, no streetlights, no house lights. Nothing.
The other side was just as normal. Twinkling lights from doors and windows, pavement lit up etc.
I went into the house and looked out of the window. I could see my neighbour’s house opposite. Full of light. I wished all of a sudden I could ask them for a bit of their light whilst sat in the pitch dark and cold as the heating was affected too.
The reality was, they couldn’t give me their light
No one could give anyone in the darkness a bit of their light even.
Then I realised the sign Allah was showing me.
The verses from Suratul Hadid about a scene from the Day of Judgement:
12. On the Day you shall see the believing men and the believing women their light running forward before them and by their right hands. Glad tidings for you this Day! Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise), to dwell therein forever! Truly, this is the great success!
13. On the Day when the hypocrites men and women will say to the believers: “Wait for us! Let us get something from your light!” It will be said: “Go back to your rear! Then seek a light!” So a wall will be put up between them, with a gate therein. Inside it will be mercy, and outside it will be torment.”
14. (The hypocrites) will call the believers: “Were we not with you?” The believers will reply: “Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah.”
15. So this Day no ransom shall be taken from you (hypocrites), nor of those who disbelieved. Your abode is the Fire, that is the proper place for you, and worst indeed is that destination.
16. Has not the time come for the hearts of those who believe to be affected by Allah’s Reminder (this Qur’an), and that which has been revealed of the truth, lest they become as those who received the Scripture before, and the term was prolonged for them and so their hearts were hardened? And many of them were Fasiqun (rebellious, disobedient to Allah).
May Allah allow us to be of those blessed with His Light on that day.